‘Tis the season to add some cheer to your Jersey Shore home by adding twinkling lights and trimming the tree. While decorating can make your shore home inviting this holiday season, it can also be dangerous. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 200 people are injured daily during the holiday season.
Follow these holiday safety tips to keep your Shore home safe this holiday season.
- If buying a live tree inspect it for freshness. You want the needles of the tree to be hard to pull off and not easy to break. Inspect the bottom of the tree to see if it’s sticky with resin, another indicator of a fresh tree.
- Stay safe when putting up your tree by keeping it far away from fireplaces, radiators, or heat sources. If using a live tree, keep it hydrated by watering routinely.
- Before stringing lights, inspect them for frayed wires or loose connections. Do not use lights without fused plugs, or with loose connections. Avoid stringing more than three strands of lights together.
- Always use a ladder when hanging decorations out of reach, and keep the base of the ladder at least one foot from the structure.
- If installing outdoor lights only use those that are certified for outdoor use and only place them in a plug that is GFCI protected.
- Prior to leaving your home or going to bed turn off all electrical decorations.
Enjoy all this holiday season has to offer while staying safe. The Ferzoco Group is experienced in working with buyers and sellers from Ocean City to Cape May. If you are looking to sell or buy a home let us know how we can help. Our job is to make your tomorrow better than today. Contact us today via email or give us a call at 609-264-6762.