Whether you plan on selling your home or not, there are a few home repairs that you should take care of now that summer is winding down and fall is on the horizon.
1. Caulking. Caulking doesn’t cost a lot of money, keeps water out of places where it shouldn’t be, and can also add a decorative finish to paint jobs or trim work.
2. Cleaning your dryer vent. When was the last time you actually cleaned out your dryer vent? You clean the trap periodically, but it’s important to clean the vent as well. Cleaning the vent prevents any kind of nest building, keeps birds out of the vent, and prevents fires.
3. Roof repair. A small roof leak can lead to huge structural damage and even mold.
4. Chimney sweeps. Do that once a year to make sure it is free of bird’s nests or any flammable items.
5. Change your HVAC filter. Keeping that filter clean allows your HVAC system to run so much smoother and more efficiently, which will keep your bills down.
6. Pest problems. Termites, carpenter ants, and even roaches can cause damage to your home. Have your property checked annually by some kind of WGI licensed contractor.
7. Plumbing leaks. Any sized leak can lead to big damage in your home.
8. Peeling paint. A fresh coat of paint on the property, inside and out, keeps the house dry and free of rot.
9. Drainage problems. Clean your gutters and make sure your landscape is properly graded so that water flows away from the house and not back toward it.
These are just a couple of things to keep in mind as the summer ends and we head into the fall market.
If you have any other questions or would like to learn more about listing your home this fall, just give me a call or send me an email. I would be happy to help you!