If you have a vacation home along the Shore that you rent out, you will need to decide whether or not to accept pets in the home by renters. For some owners, they see only the money they will make by allowing pets in their home, while others only see the pet hair that will be everywhere. Before choosing to allow or not allow pets in your vacation home along the Shore, consider these arguments for and against it.
- In a competitive rental market, allowing pets in your vacation can give you an advantage.
- Nearly 37% of pet owners reported that they travel with their pets according to the Travel Industry Association and by accepting these owners you are widening your customer base.
- It can be hard to fill up your calendar with bookings in the offseason and allowing pets in your home can help fill those days.
- Choosing to accept a pet in your vacation home means that you are able to charge a fee for that pet and that means more rental income for you.
- More wear and tear could happen to the home by accepting pets. There is a risk that more damage could occur by allowing pets in the home. However, some owners choose to charge a high pet deposit that can be used to cover any damage a pet may cause.
- There are some individuals out there who are allergic to pets and by accepting pets in your home you are losing those group of renters.
- Allowing a pet in the home will cause more work for your cleaning company, which in turn could cost you more. If you choose to accept pets in your home, work with your cleaning company to secure a rate for cleaning after pets and include that in the rental price.
Still not sure if pets are a good idea in your vacation rental? Consider experimenting with it in the off-season to see how it goes. Look at the amount of wear and tear done on the home, it may not be as bad as you expect. Also, see how your bookings increase over the same period of time over the previous year.
If you are looking to buy a vacation home along the Jersey Shore or sell your home along the Shore The Ferzoco Group is here to help. Contact us here, or give us a call directly at (609) 399-5454. We are here to help you with all your real estate needs.